Sunday, May 1, 2011

Borough Market and the Ultimate Cheese Toastie

I can't believe I've been living in London for over a year now without having been to Borough Market! Having heard about Kappacasein's famous toasted cheese sandwich and having some free time over the weekend I took a trip yesterday, and it didn't disappoint. More about the cheese toastie below.





Located under and around London Bridge station, the market stalls offer quality produce, all beautifully laid out. You can find great breads, cheeses, meat, fish, spices, French/ Italian/Spanish specialities... anything you need really. It was nice to see a stall selling fish from Sussex, caught with their own boat that night. 


Back to the cheese toastie. I don't know why I get excited about toasted cheese, but I do. This humble cheese toastie has believe it or not had rave reviews from the likes of the Daily Telegraph and Gourmet Magazine. 





The stall is run by Kappacasein http://www.kappacasein.com/ and they also do raclette. The toastie is made with Montgomery cheddar and five types of chopped onion, piled onto Poilane bread and toasted. The result is a very fine crispy cheese toastie, I can see why people queue up from 11 am for these. The simplicity of the ingredients makes the dish, and the nice thing is that with a bit of practice I'm sure the toastie could be re-created at home... 






2 comments:

  1. I love cheese toasties and that one sounds bloody gorgeous...Ive never been to Borough Market and I only live an hour away, I really should make the effort one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amazing- all you could want from a cheese toastie and more! you should go when you can, I see you live in Brighton so it's not too far. I lived in Brighton for 2 years before moving to London- fab place, miss it really.

    ReplyDelete